Archive for the 'Uncategorized' Category
Wednesday 2/08/17 Next Coalition Meeting to Make AB2298 and SB458 Real and Challenge Harmful “Gang Suppression” PoliciesTuesday, February 7th, 2017
PLEASE JOIN US WEDNESDAY, 2/08/17
TO CONITNUE TO MAKE AB2298 AND SB458 REAL, TO PUSH FOR ADDITIONAL LEGISLATIVE VICTORIES THIS YEAR, AND TO BUILD A STATEWIDE COALITION TO CHALLENGE GANG DATABASES, GANG INJUNCTIONS, GANG ENHANCEMENTS, AND DEPORTATION/CRIMMIGRATION.
WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 8, 2017, 3-5PM
LOYOLA LAW SCHOOL
919 Albany St, Los Angeles, CA 90015
Just north of Olympic Blvd. a few blocks west of the 110 Freeway in the Pico Union community of Los Angeles
IF YOU CAN’T MAKE IT TO THE MEETING, PLEASE CALL IN:
(712) 770-4010 / Access Code – 435-742
1. Continued work on legislation for 2017
A. Finalize language for AB 990 to push for a moratorium on the use of CalGang until concerns raised by the audit are addressed; to push for DOJ oversight of shared gang databases inclusing CalGang; and to strengthen the purge process
B. Push forward on SB 54 to separate CalGangs and other shared gang databases from ICE
C. Updates and action needed on other immigrant protection bills moving through the State Legislature
2. Coalition Action Plan for 2017
3. Finalization of Coalition’s Name and Logo
Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions, comments or additional agenda requests.
ABOUT AB 2298 …
The Youth Justice Coalition recommends ESTABLISHMENT AND IMPLEMENTATION OF THESE ESSENTIAL POWERS FOR OVERSIGHT OF THE L.A. SHERIFFS DEPARTMENT:
1. POWER TO ESTABLISH POLICY FOR THE DEPARTMENT
2. POWER TO REVIEW AND FINALIZE THE LASD BUDGET THAT IS PRESENTED TO THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS. SPENDING DETERMINES PROGRAM AND POLICY PRIORITIES.
3. CREATE AND MAINTAIN A NEW, FAIR, TRANSPARENT, ACCESSIBLE AND INDEPENDEDNT COMPLAINT PROCESS FOR THE LASD – BOTH IN COMMUITIES AND IN CUSTODY, INCLUDING HAVING THE OIG AND THE SYSBIL BRAND COMMISSION WORK FOR AND REPORT TO THE OVERSIGHT COMMISSION.
4. ADOPT THE FAMILY RIGHTS PLATFORM GOVERNING TREAMENT OF VICTIMS’ FAMILIES AFTER USE OF FORCE:
GUARANTEE LOS ANGELES COUNTY FAMILIES THESE RIGHTS
AFTER LAW ENFORCEMENT USE OF FORCE
Establish these rights for all families – (to address community and family concerns) immediately after law enforcement use of force resulting in homicide or severe injury:
1. Maintain fairness and withhold judgment. After an incident, do not discredit the victim, their family or community. Give the same answer when people ask about the possible misconduct or excessive use of force by members of law enforcement – “We can not comment because the incident is under investigation.” (Often, law enforcement claims the …